General Parent Volunteer Information!
(If you are interested in tutoring reading or math in the classroom, click here!)
Montessori education depends on its family and community to support the learning process. Volunteers like you make PRM a great place to learn and grow. Below is some helpful information.
There are so many ways to help! Here are a few ways you can help out as a parent and where to get started. Each and every one of these is vital and a part of what makes PRM amazing – from adding your email to the Keep Me Posted List to helping at events and fundraisers to helping in your child’s classroom to a longer-term role on the PTO, Foundation, or other committee.
- PRMRocks.org! You can help support PRM and your student just by signing up for the PTO Keep Me Posted email list. Add the calendar to your computer or phone, subscribe to the calendar to keep informed!
- Parent groups: Attend a parent group meeting like PTO, Foundation, Boosters, LSDMC, ILT or Mens Group! Check out the calendar for dates and times, click here.
- Classroom Helpers (requires badge): Room Parent, wash rugs, bring in food or even come in just to sharpen pencils, contact your student’s teacher.
- Chaperones (requires badge): Chaperone a field trip! Contact your student’s teacher to volunteer for field trips throughout the year.
- Events and Parties: Help plan, give time or just show up for various community events or fundraising events. Examples include Fall Festival, Father Daughter Dance, Mother Son Event or the Silent Auction. Contact PTO and Foundation presidents. You can find their contact information in the Volunteer Directory.
- Year long Volunteer roles: Dig a little deeper and take on a longer-term role in the parent groups, like PTO, Foundation or be a parent representative to the district groups with teachers and administration like ILT and LSDMC. You can find the presidents and parent representatives in the Volunteer Directory.
Get a CPS Volunteer Badge!
For any volunteer role requiring you to be in the school during school hours or on field trips, you must have a CPS volunteer badge. All PRM volunteers need to have at least local background check and CPS badge. If you live in Hamilton County, you would go to the Hamilton County Justice Center, 1000 Sycamore Street. (Open Mon. – Fri. 7 AM – 3 PM.) The background check is $5.00, cash only. If you live in a neighboring county, you should get your check from that county.
Once you have your background check you have two options for getting your badge:
1. Come to PRM @ 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM:
Bring your original copy of your background check and a photo ID (driver’s license)
We’ll have you complete the PRM agreement and emergency info.
We’ll take your picture
Your badge would arrive in about a week.
2. Get badge directly from CPS Security office, but BEFORE YOU GO – Click here for the Volunteer Agreement & Emergency Contact Info Form Fill out the PRM agreement and emergency info – You may scan and email it to [email protected] or simply turn it in to Jamie at PRM.
Once we receive your PRM agreement, we will fax an authorization** for your badge to the CPS Security office. Please call/email [email protected] before you go to CPS to make sure we have faxed the authorization. (This is usually is done quickly.)
Go to CPS Security Office (2651 Burnet Avenue, 45219; Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m. & 1:45 p.m.-2:45 p.m) with your original background check and driver’s license. The Security office will take your picture. Your badge will be given to you immediately.
If you plan to hang out at PRM a LOT, you would need an FBI and BCII check, which can be done for $50 at the CPS Security Office. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Jamie at [email protected] or 513.304.0070.